There are a lot of mysteries about Canada, we live in such a vast nation and many of us never travel coast to coast and in-between. Here are some lesser know tidbits of Canadiana you may not know yet.
Canada is known for a number of things, but some of these strange facts are not so well known.
- Canada has the world’s smallest jail – in Rodney, Ontario; it’s only 24.3 square meters (270 square feet).
- Daylight savings time does not occur in Saskatchewan.
- There are 522 airports with paved runways, 931 airports with unpaved runways.
- The West Edmonton Mall, once the largest in the world is now the fifth largest indoor shopping mall.
- The CN Tower in Toronto was the world’s tallest free standing structure until 2007.
- Canada is the largest producer of uranium in the world.
- The intersection of Portage and Main Street in Winnipeg has been called the windiest place in Canada.
- Newfoundland is nicknamed “The Rock.’
- Prince Edward Island, Canada’s smallest province is only 225 kilometers long and 56 kilometers wide.
- Some of the world’s largest wheat fields are found in Saskatchewan.
- Canada is the world’s largest source of the rare element Cesium. It is found at Bernic Lake, Manitoba.
- Canada is home to 15 million cattle, 9 million of which live on the Prairies.
Bonus Fact: As we live in such a wonderful nation full of awe and amazement, it should come as no surprise that 32% of Canadians describe themselves as ‘very happy’ and 55% say they are ‘quite happy’. We wonder how the remaining 13% describe themselves?
Do you know something unusual about Canada, we’d love to hear from you.
Want more Canadian Facts? Check out these blogs:
All About Canada: How Well
What You May Not Know
Things we blog about
Places we have blogged about
- Africa, Anywhere
- Alaska, Usa
- Alberta, Canada
- Andalusia, Spain
- Antigua and Barbuda
- Athens, Esye31, Greece
- Bali, Indonesia
- Baltimore-towson, Md, United States
- Banff, 01, Canada
- Bangkok, Thailand
- Barcelona, 56, Spain
- Beijing, China
- Berlin, Germany
- Bora Bora, French Polynesia
- Boston, Ma, United States
- Calgary, 01, Canada
- California, Usa